J.R. Blackwell is a writer and photographer living in Philadelphia.
Her work centers around creating compelling stories though photography and fiction. She has photographed books covers, interior art, author photographs and events. She has photographed authors, dancers, animals, actors, politicians, drag queens, singers and monsters. Her fiction has been published in books, magazines and on the web.
J.R. holds a Masters of Liberal Arts from the University of Pennsylvania. She lives in Philadelphia with her husband, artist Jared Axelrod.
J.R. has produced the covers to Heroine, Playing for Keeps, The Case of the Singing Sword, and The Case of the Pitchers Pendant. Her photography ranges from the journalistic to the fantastical, but all of her images aim to tell stories to the viewer.
As a photographer for Philadelphia Weekly, J.R. regularly attends events around the Philadelphia area. In 2013, she documented 24 hours in the city, staying awake for that time and capturing photos from around the city, including dawn over the Ben Franklin Bridge, the aftermath of a concert on South Street and a burning parking kiosk.
At the age of 24, J.R. founded 365 Tomorrows, a group flash fiction website dedicated to producing a new piece of science fiction daily. It continues that mandate to this day. Her essay “Evidence of a Baker” was published in the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster in March 2006. Her stories have been published by Escape Pod Magazine, Aoife’s Kiss, Kaleidotrope, Bewildering Stories, Static Movement Magazine, EMG Magazine, HeavyGlow Magazine and in the first Podiobook anthology Voices: New Media Fiction.
J.R. wrote the zombie survival game Shelter In Place, which won a Judge’s Choice ENnie award in 2012. Her board game, Velociraptor! Cannibalism!, raised over $43,000 on Kickstarter and is published by Game Salute. Her game of courtly manners during an alien invasion, Court/Ship, is included in Fate Worlds Volume Two: Worlds in Shadow.
CONTACT J.R. BLACKWELL
For all inquiries, contact J.R. Blackwell at jrblackwell (at) gmail (dot) com.
WHERE YOU CAN FIND ME
- Twitter: I link back to the blog when I post new stuff, but you also get to hear what comes out of my skull at 3AM: jrblackwell
- Blog: I blog regularly here at http://www.jrblackwell.com and if you follow my blog, you can expect to see lots of photographs, fiction, games, Dr. Mercury and my adventures living in this glorious world.
- Tumblr: Random photos, tiny bits of fiction and reblogging galore: http://jrblackwell.tumblr.com/
- The Way of the Buffalo Podcast: Episode 26: Interview with J.R. Blackwell
- Final Girl Support Group: Shelter in Place: An Interview with J.R. Blackwell
- The Secret Lair: J.R. Blackwell’s Shelter in Place
- The Voice of the Revolution: July, 2011
- This Just In From GenCon: July, 2011
- Girls Rules: June, 2011
- PJ Schnyder: January, 2011
- The Voice of the Revolution: April, 2010
- UltraCreatives: June 2008
- Balticon Podcast, February 2007
To interview me about photography, fiction, games or any other topic, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org
I am available for hire for various projects at reasonable rates. My photography rates can be found here: RATES If you have a special project you’d like me to work on, please feel free to contact me to discuss details and rates.